Here is a Top 10 list of books for EBD teachers initially compiled by Reece Peterson, Ph.D. Dr. Peterson is a former president of the Council for Children with Behavioral Disorders and recently donated his archive of CCBD Newsletters dating back to the 1970’s to the organization. The newsletters are archived in PDF format on the Newsletter page. I met Reece in person for the first time at last weekends CCBD conference in Denver and had a great conversation. Additional Top 10 lists are available at the MSLBD website as well as info on upcoming conferences.
- The Teacher’s Encyclopedia of Behavior Management -100 problems/500 plans, Grade k-9; Randall S Sprick,& Lisa Howard, Sopris West, 4093 Specialty Place, Longmont, CO 80504
- Best Practices: Behavioral and Educational Strategies for Teachers (5th Printing). Kenton Reavis, William R. Jenson, Daniel P. Morgan, Debra J. Andrews, Susan Fister, Mae Taylor, Sopris West Publishing Co., 4093 Specialty Place, Longmont, CO 80504
- The Tough Kid Book: Practical Classroom Management Strategies. Ginger Rhode, William J. Jenson & H. Kenton Reavis, Sopris West Publishing Company, 4093 Specialty Place, Longmont, CO 80504.
- The Tough Kid Tool Box. William R. Jenson, Ginger Rhode & H. Kenton Reavis, Sopris West Publishing Company, 4093 Specialty Place, Longmont, CO 80504
- Building Assets Together: 135 Group Activities for Helping Youth Succeed. Jolene L. Rochlkepartain, Search Institute, 700 S. 3rd. Street, Suite 210; Minneapolis, MN 55415-1138
- The Tough Kid Social Skills Book. Susan M. Sheridan, Sopris West Publishing Company, 4093 Specialty Place, Longmont, CO 80504.
- Medication Fact Sheets: A Behavioral Medication Reference Guide for the Education Professional. Dean E. Konopasek, Sopris West Publishing Company, 4093 Specialty Place, Longmont, CO 80504.
- Powerful Struggles: Managing, Resistance, Building Rapport. John Maag, Sopris West Publishing Company, 4093 Specialty Place, Longmont, CO 80504.
- When A Child Misbehaves. Alan Hofmeister, Kendall/Hunt Publishing. Company, 4050 Westmark Dr., Dubuque, IA 52002; (563)589-1000
- Clear Thinking-Clearing Dark Thought with New Words and Images: A Program for Teachers and Counseling Professionals. Polly Nichols, River Lights, Publishers, 308 East Burlington St. #108, Iowa City, IA 52240-5810
I think this list is as relevant today as it was when it was first published (no date provided). As more and more states move away from disability specific teaching certifications and toward cross-categorical certifications, we are loosing our ability to serve this group of students. Do yourself a favor and check out some of these great reads.
Have other books to add to the list? Drop me a comment.