My First Time
I joined my first professional association as a student member (at a sweet discount rate) when I was completing my Masters degree in special education and have never ever ever regretted the decision. In fact, since that time I have joined more and currently belong to numerous professional organizations. I have also served as a board member of several organizations.
I join for several reasons:
- Stay current on research and practices in education
- Receive journals, magazines, and publications from the organization with helpful tips, tricks, and strategies
- Discounts on car insurance to conference to books
- Connect with other education professionals and experts
Connecting with Experts
The biggest reason why I stay associated with professional organizations is to connect to people like me and learn from people who share my experiences and have broader experiences and knowledge. This is a big part of my Professional Learning Community.
I’ve been a board member of the Council for Children with Behavioral Disorders for a while and today I want to share 5 Ways To Connect With Behavior Experts from this community (I encourage you to join too!)
- www.Facebook/CCBDmembers “Like” us and post or view status updates on our page with comments and links relative to our members.
- www.Twitter/CCBDmembers Follow us or send us a Tweet using @ccbdmembers or the hashtag #CCBD.
- http://CCBDNing.ning.com Join our NetworkING community to share your educational stories, questions or comments.
- www.YouTube.com/user/CCBDmembers Watch our CCBD Foundation public service announcement,more media coming soon.
- This is a QRCode to a 4 Minute CCBD Video. A QR Code is a 3-D bar code that can be read by your smart phone or web enabled mobile device and can take you directly to a webpage, video, or map.
- Search for a “QR Code Reader” app on your mobile device and install.
- Use the QR Reader to scan the code with your device camera to connect to the media destination.
What professional associations are part of your learning community?